Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Popeye and an Explanation

So let me explain my Color Code situation to you. We (the Hanks Family) are believers in the Color Code…we don’t base our lives on it, but are believers…we got into it because my husband’s company pretty much runs off of it. I post this explanation because of the comments on my “red” personality from my last post.

I am a red. I was born a red, raised a red, and will innately always be a red. Ask my mom. I have always been very independent, bossy, focused, and goal driven. I used to correct peoples’ grammar when I was younger…not something of which I’m proud.

At one point I must have realized that the strength of my red personality turned people off. The biggest complaint I had from every guy I dated semi-seriously was that I never opened up. Reds are not great at sharing feelings. So I slowly changed little by little. Every day I would try to play down the limitations of the “red” personality in me. But I regressed a bit when I got married almost 8 years ago.

My lovely husband is a white. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the Color Code, whites are motivated by peace and have this amazing ability to stay calm in any situation…very self-regulated and diplomatic. These are some of the great qualities my incredible husband possesses. But every color personality has its weaknesses. Whites can have a hard time making decisions, are quite unassertive, and can be very laid-back. Ephraim is so slooooooow in making decisions…very methodical and precise but slow. This has brought back a lot of my red, at least in my marital relationship. Someone has to make decisions, and sometimes quickly. I love that. I know where I’m headed, where I want to end up, and am usually quite efficient at getting there. When a decision needs to be made (and greatly affects me), I’m usually on my feet, making that decision (and many times a darn good one, I like to think). So I am the primary decision maker in the life of my family (after consultation, of course). And Ephraim is OK with that most of the time…except for every once in a while when he remembers that he is the Patriarch of our family and should probably be doing more of this type of stuff. And blue is my secondary color, for those of you who guessed that. I can be compassionate and sensitive when I let my guard down.

Eph and I have had many interesting discussions on this in our marriage. I love that he is a white and has such a calming effect on our family. Many times the balance of our personalities comes together well and sometimes we still have to work on it (ie, me not being so bossy and controlling).

As for “Popeye”, here is the picture. Dad, I hope this makes you happy. I’m not sure why Ephraim is making this face or why his lips are green. But here it is. I think this is the first picture I have posted of me not pregnant. Hooray! Hopefully we'll be having a baby next month.

5 comments:

Gatlin Gang said...

I would totally have pegged Ephraim to be a white, but I guess I don't know you well enough to say 100% red. I am a blue. It is funny how the color never changes. I don't think you can change your dominant color.

Clark Family said...

I can't beleive the similarities in our relationships. It is crazy. I think I like reading about yours so much because it is like ours. You guys are great and make a great couple too. I am glad that you are in our ward.

Summer said...

Great blog post Megs...I have a little bosy boots in me also...I am sure you have realized that by now! We all may have different colors, but little brother Marc is truly a "rainbow" (Get it..ha..ha)

Coach Kennington said...

Hey megan, its Lacy I found you through Step's. Hope things are going well for you.

Quincy Sorensen said...

What a cute picture of you, Megan! And how is it that other people's pregnancies go by so QUICKLY? I can't believe you're due next month!

My friend Treva is very much into the color personality thing, and she's a red, too. I first took the test in an education course and it stressed me out tremendously. I was conflicted between what I thought I "should" answer and what was the truth.

Glad to know you're a red. You are a nice red, though.