On Sundays, Ephraim and I teach the Sunbeam class in Primary (3 year olds). Eph's birthday is this Friday (the 13th) so on Sunday the Primary sang to him and gave him a Nestle Crunch candy bar. Later that day, while Ephraim was taking his Sunday nap, the kids and I helped ourselves to a little bit (well, most) of his candy bar. My thoughts...my husband is not a big "sweets" person and I can buy him a new candy bar anyway...he won't mind. Well, he did. He was a little upset and said it would have been nice if I had asked to eat his candy. He was right. The situation was made a little funnier later that evening when Ephraim's parents came for dinner and his mom helped herself to the rest of the candy bar.
Yesterday Ephraim was sick so I went to the store to get some Advil for his pounding headache. I was standing in line to check out when I spotted a Ghirardelli all milk chocolate giant sized candy bar. Perfect, I thought. Ephraim's favorite is all chocolate with no bells and whistles. $2.50 later, I was heading home with the chocolate bar. Expensive, yes (I'm usually a pretty intense bargain shopper) but worth it. Eph would love it.
I came home with Ephraim's candy bar and laid it on his nightstand next to the bed. And then proceeded to lie down to take a nap (I haven't been feeling well myself...you know, this whole pregnancy thing). I woke up an hour later, feeling very refreshed. I looked on the nightstand next to the bed where I had laid the candy bar. Hmmmm, no candy bar. Ephraim must have found it and eaten it. Nope. "I know I laid it there," I said to him. So the interrogations began.
Mom: Noah, did you eat a candy bar that was laying on daddy's nightstand?
Noah: Yes.
Mom: Did you eat it all?
Noah: Yes, Andy and I did.
Mom: Where is the wrapper?
Noah: We ate it on the couch.
Not seeing any evidence of this anywhere, I wasn't sure I believed this version of the story. And my thoughts...there is no way my boys could have eaten this whole candy bar.
So I went to the 2-year old (not expecting much of an answer):
Mom: Andy, did you eat a candy bar today?
Andy: Yes.
Mom: Where is the wrapper?
Andy: In the trash can.
Sure enough, there was the candy bar wrapper lying in the garbage. The kids had eaten all three ounces. What was most amazing to me was that there was not a drop of evidence anywhere and that the wrapper ended up in the trash can.
Happy Birthday, Ephraim.
4 comments:
sounds like chocolate is not safe in your household. this is a cute story.
i can totally relate to eating the spouse's candy. my husband is not a big sweets person- so i have been known to help him finish his chocolate at times. and, i have found myself in the same situation as you- i didn't think he would mind, but he did.
It's kind of the opposite at our house. Me and Brett are always caught eating our kids candy...hehe...
I love it! I wish that I could have been a fly on the wall to see those little boys sneaking around and eating that chocolate bar..I miss thoce cute little guys!
That is a great story! The fact that the replacement candy bar was $2.50 to die for chocolate that children ate who don't appreciate the difference between good chocolate and to die for chocolate is even funnier. Poor Ephraim! Apparently he isn't meant to eat chocolate right now.
Post a Comment